The central administration authority for issues related to the national road system is the General Director for National Roads and Motorways. The General Director manages the national roads and implements the state budget to the extent of the national road system.
The competences of the General Director also include to:
• cooperate on implementation of the national transport policy in relation to the road system
• collect data and issue reports informing about the public roads
• supervise preparation of road infrastructure to ensure security of the state
• issue time and route limited single-pass permits for special vehicles
• cooperate with foreign road system authorities and international organisations
• cooperate with local government bodies on road infrastructure expansion and maintenance
• manage traffic on national roads
• protect road engineering heritage
• perform tasks related to preparation and coordination of toll motorway construction and operation, or operation only
The General Director performs its tasks with the support of the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways. The General Directorate comprises the Warsaw headquarters and 16 provincial branches. Local divisions, subordinate to the Provincial Branches, fulfil the management objectives in field.